Are you eligible to apply to ACE?
(Applicants must apply through ACE in their final year at Medical School or for the intake immediately following the completion of their final exams.)
To be eligible to apply via ACE for a first year House Officer position graduates must meet one of the following categories:
- Have graduated from a New Zealand medical school and hold citizenship or permanent residency of New Zealand or Australia.
- Have graduated from an Australian medical school and hold citizenship or permanent residency of New Zealand or Australia.
- Have graduated from a New Zealand medical school and not hold permanent residency of New Zealand or Australia.
The ACE Match Algorithm gives priority to Category 1 applicants, then Category 2 applicants and then Category 3 applicants, therefore the chances of obtaining a position through the ACE process are greatest for Category 1 applicants.
Late Start Applicants
Weren’t successful in your first attempt? Not to worry! You may be eligible to re-apply provided you meet the following criteria:
- You are a NZ Medical School graduate and are a NZ or Australian Citizen/Permanent Resident (Category 1).
- You are re-applying in the intake immediately following their first application.
- You have not held a first year House Officer position previously.
- You have not previously been matched through the ACE process.
I do not meet the eligibility criteria above, what now?
If you do not meet the ACE eligibility criteria as set out above you will not be able to apply via the ACE process and will need to apply directly to the DHBs following the conclusion of the ACE match in August.